Monday, September 24, 2007

A fly on the wall

You know it's bad when the Vice Principal agrees with you...Yes, I went to the office Friday. I actually made an appointment. I hadn't intended for it to be a long conference, I just wanted to touch base with the V.P and let her know I had some concerns. As an after thought, I sat down at the computer the morning before the conference, and quickly jotted down a few of my concerns. Two pages later, I decided I'd better stop, for practical purposes, because we'd never be able to cover all my observations and concerns in just one meeting.

School has been underway for about 4 weeks and I have been lurking the halls and sitting in the classrooms, shocked at what I have witnessed. One problem with having a child with special needs, is the inability to quiz him about his day. So I have to be a presence in the classroom to find out what is happening in his day. And I will continue to do this until I feel things are running smoothly. Not all parents have that luxury, and I am thankful that I am able to do this.

One thing about being in the classroom often, is that after awhile, the teachers and aides forget that I'm not one of them...they forget that I'm there, I become a fly on the wall, and I get to see what life is like for these kids when no one is watching.

4 comments:

glee said...

So, how did things go?

Susan said...

The conference with the vice Principal went well, the daily classes are chaotic and unorganized. His IEP goals are not being met, and they are understaffed.

glee said...

I know that is disappointing. I figured things might be a little hectic after hearing about the tooth.

By the way, what is the story behind the tooth?

Susan said...

It was his tooth after all, he spit it out into his lunch box during lunch one day. It was a baby tooth, a molar that was due to come out awhile ago. He just been hanging onto it!